Last updated December 5, 2019
Terms of Service
1. Agreement Between You and RentPath
Thank you for using RentPath’s Sites to find your next rental home. The following terms and conditions (the “Terms of Service”) apply to your use of the Sites. The term “Sites” includes RentPath.com, ApartmentGuide.com, Rent.com, Rentals.com, LiveLovely.com, and any current or future related mobile sites, mobile applications or other products or services, all of which are owned and operated by RentPath, LLC (“RentPath”). By using the Sites, you explicitly accept these Terms of Service. We strongly recommend that, as you read these Terms of Service, you also access and read the information contained in the other pages and websites referred to in these Terms of Service, as they may contain further terms and conditions that apply to you. Underlined words and phrases are links to these pages and websites. The term “Agreement” means the agreement formed between you and us pursuant to these Terms of Service and any other terms and conditions posted on the Sites, and any other written agreement between you and us, as the same may be modified from time to time, all of which are incorporated herein by reference. RentPath is not a real estate broker or lender, and the Sites are not intended to establish a brokerage relationship or any agency or fiduciary relationship between you and RentPath or the Sites. For additional information, please see Section 15 below.
2. Website Information and Remedies.
The rental advertisements and related services posted on the Sites are procured and provided by RentPath and/or its subsidiaries and affiliates. In the case of any violation of our Agreement, RentPath and its affiliates (collectively, “RentPath”, “we,” “our” or “us”), reserve the right to seek all remedies available by law and in equity for such violations, including termination of your use of the Sites.
3. User Content, Your License to Us and Rules for User Content.
By submitting communications, photos, data, information, reviews/opinions or any other content (“User Content”) to us or the Sites, you are (i) authorizing us to use such User Content (including, where applicable, your name, image and likeness) and (ii) granting us a limited, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicensable, irrevocable right and license to copy, use, distribute, reproduce, modify, display, perform, create derivative works from, store and otherwise use such User Content, in any media known now or in the future. You represent and warrant that you have sufficient rights in the User Content to make this grant. You understand and agree that User Content submitted through the Sites is not confidential or proprietary.
Several of our Sites provide opportunities for you to provide opinions or reviews (“User Commentary”). User Commentary must not violate these Terms of Service (especially as set forth below under No Unlawful or Prohibited Use). In addition, you represent and warrant that User Content and User Commentary submitted by you does not:
- Contain any material that is defamatory, obscene, indecent, abusive, offensive, harassing, violent, hateful, inflammatory, or otherwise objectionable;
- Promote sexually explicit, pornographic material or violence;
- Contain anything that is discriminatory based on race, color, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status or age;
- Infringe any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, or other intellectual property or other rights of any other person;
- Violate the legal rights (including the rights of publicity and privacy) of others or contain any material that could give rise to any civil or criminal liability under applicable laws or regulations or that otherwise may be in conflict with these Terms of Service;
- Be likely to deceive any person;
- Promote any illegal activity, or advocate, promote, or assist any unlawful act;
- Impersonate any person, or misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person or organization;
- Involve commercial activities or sales, or advertising; or
- Give the impression that they emanate from or are endorsed by us or any other person or entity, if this is not the case.
We do not endorse the accuracy or reliability of any User Commentary, and User Commentary does not reflect the views of RentPath. RENTPATH ACCEPTS NO LIABILITY WHATSOEVER FOR USER CONTENT OR USER COMMENTARY.
4. Services and Our License to You.
Potential renters may search the Sites for available rental properties at no charge.
Subject to the restrictions in these Terms of Service, RentPath hereby authorizes you to view, copy, download and print a single copy of the information and data (“Content”) available on the Sites, provided that: (1) the Content is used solely for personal, noncommercial purposes; (2) the Content is not modified, republished, or redistributed; and (3) all copyright, trademark, service mark and other proprietary notices are reproduced as they appear in any such Content. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, as a renter, you are only permitted to use the Sites to search for properties, communicate with advertisers/properties, and utilize other rental-related services offered by us. Except as expressly provided above, nothing contained herein shall be construed as conferring, by implication, estoppel or otherwise, any license or right under any patent, trademark or copyright of RentPath, its affiliates or the Sites.
5. Competitor Exclusion.
Notwithstanding the grant of access conferred in Section 4, RentPath expressly and without limitation revokes the right of any competitor, including competitors of RentPath or its affiliates, to access the Sites in any way and for any purpose, including, but not limited to, through employees, officers, directors, third party agents, affiliates, or independent contractors. If you are a competitor of RentPath or any of its affiliates, you acknowledge that you are accessing the Sites without legal authorization, and agree to immediately discontinue such access, and to direct all parties within your control or under your direction, including, but not limited to, employees, officers, directors, third party agents, affiliates, or independent contractors, to cease accessing the Sites on your behalf, or for your benefit.
6. Use of Third-Party Call Servicer when You Call Properties.
Our listings contain phone numbers through which you may contact our advertisers. We have an agreement with a third-party provider (the “Call Servicer”) allowing properties listed on the Sites to be assigned a unique phone number as part of their listing and to use call measurement and monitoring services, for purposes of quality assurance, customer service, via the Call Servicer’s telecommunications network.
By using the Sites to access listings and by contacting advertisers/properties via the telephone numbers listed on the Sites, you consent and give permission to have your voice, identity and call content recorded, monitored, stored and divulged for the purposes described above. You will be notified at the beginning of a call if it may be recorded or monitored.
7. Processing Rent Payments.
You agree to indemnify and hold harmless RentPath, its affiliates and its and their respective employees, representatives, agents and suppliers (“RentPath Indemnitees”) against any claim, suit, action, or other proceeding brought by anyone, including claims by the properties or Rent Payment Service Provider, in connection with your use of the Online Rent Payment Services, including but not limited to: (i) your use or someone using your computer or your account; (ii) a violation of any agreement between you and the Rent Payment Service Provider or you and the rental property, whether such violation is by you or anyone using your computer; (iii) a claim regarding the amount paid or received using the Online Rent Payment Service; or (iv) a claim regarding the date payment is made or received. You agree to pay any and all costs, damages, and expenses incurred by RentPath Indemnitees arising out of such claims, suits, actions or other proceedings, including, without limitation, reasonable attorneys’ fees and costs, and awards in connection with (that is, against, or arising from, or otherwise incurred by) any such claim, suit, action, or proceeding attributable to any such claim. RentPath cannot and will not be liable for any damage or loss arising from your failure to comply with the terms of service of the Rent Payment Service Provider or you following any links to third-party sites.
IN ADDITION TO THE GENERAL DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES AND LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY APPLICABLE TO THE SITES, TO THE EXTENT LEGALLY PERMITTED WE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, REPRESENTATIONS, AND CONDITIONS, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, WITH RESPECT TO THE ONLINE RENT PAYMENT SERVICES AND THE RENT PAYMENT SERVICE PROVIDER. YOU EXPRESSLY ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT USE OF THE ONLINE RENT PAYMENT SERVICE IS PROVIDED BY RENT PAYMENT SERVICE PROVIDER AND NOT BY US. WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY PART OF THE ONLINE RENT PAYMENT SERVICE AND HEREBY DISCLAIM ANY AND ALL LIABILITY IN THAT REGARD. THE ONLINE RENT PAYMENT SERVICES ARE DESIGNED SUCH THAT RENTPATH DOES NOT RECEIVE THE RENTER’S METHOD OF PAYMENT (WHETHER CREDIT CARD NUMBER, DEBIT CARD NUMBER OR OTHER BANKING DETAILS). BY AGREEING TO USE THE ONLINE RENT PAYMENT SERVICES, YOU EXPRESSLY ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU ARE ACCESSING THEM AT YOUR SOLE RISK AND YOU HEREBY RELEASE RENTPATH AND ALL ITS AFFILIATES FROM ANY AND ALL LIABILITY RELATING TO THE ONLINE RENT PAYMENT SERVICES.
8. Coupons and Promotional Offers.
Listings appearing on the Sites may contain coupons or other promotional offers, such as rent or move-in special offers (“Coupons”). You may only redeem Coupons if you are 18 years of age or older. You can only redeem Coupons during the promotional period, while supplies last, and any unredeemed Coupon will not have any cash value. Coupons may only be redeemed for the specific property being advertised and no substitution is permitted. You will be subject to the terms, conditions and restrictions mentioned in the Coupon in addition to these Terms.
Unless otherwise set forth in the Coupon, permitted by the advertising property, or required under applicable law, the following additional restrictions apply: You cannot redeem the Coupon in combination with other discounts, promotions or offers; and you cannot duplicate use, sell or trade a Coupon. The Coupon will be void if you attempt to redeem it in violation of the terms of the Coupon or these Terms.
IN ADDITION TO THE GENERAL DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES AND LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY APPLICABLE TO THE SITES, WE DISCLAIM ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES AND LIABILITY AS TO ANY ADVERTISING PROPERTY OR THE PRODUCTS OR SERVICES THAT IT OFFERS. RENTPATH DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OF QUALITY, SAFETY, USABILITY, MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS OF ANY UNDERLYING PRODUCT OR SERVICE REDEEMED BY YOU IN CONNECTION WITH ANY COUPON. AS BETWEEN RENTPATH AND YOU, YOU AGREE THAT YOU ARE USING THE ADVERTISING PROPERTY’S COUPON AT YOUR SOLE RISK.
9. Tenant Screening.
If you are a renter using the Tenant Screening Services, you authorize and direct RentSpree to obtain Consumer Reports about you, which may include information about your character, your mode of living, your credit history and standing, and criminal records. You further authorize and direct RentSpree to share such Consumer Report(s) with the landlords to whom you submit an application. By using the Tenant Screening Services, you agree to the RentSpree Terms. You may report any issues associated with the Tenant Screening Services and/or request a paper copy of your Consumer Report by contacting RentSpree at firstname.lastname@example.org. While you are strongly encouraged to obtain assistance from a licensed attorney in the event you have any questions regarding your rights in connection a Consumer Report, some government information regarding your rights under the Fair Credit Reporting Act can also be found here: https://files.consumerfinance.gov/f/201504_cfpb_summary_your-rights-under-fcra.pdf.
If you are a landlord using the Tenant Screening Services, you agree to use the background check reports in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations (including, without limitation, the Fair Housing Act and the Fair Credit Reporting Act). You further agree to comply with the RentSpree Terms, and agree to indemnify and hold us (and our officers, directors, agents, affiliates, subsidiaries, joint ventures and employees), harmless from any cost, liability, charge, penalties, claim or demand, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, court costs, and other costs of collection, made by any third party due to or arising out of your failure to comply with the RentSpree Terms. You certify that you will (a) obtain all necessary permission(s) from potential tenants before obtaining his/her Consumer Report; (b) comply with any and all applicable legal requirements; and (c) will not discriminate against a tenant applicant or otherwise misuse the information contained in any Consumer Report, as provided by any applicable federal or state equal opportunity laws or regulations. While you are strongly encouraged to obtain assistance from a licensed attorney in the event you have any questions regarding your rights and obligations, some information relating to your use of the Consumer Reports can also be found here: Using Consumer Reports: What Landlords Need to Know (https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/using-consumer-reports-what-landlords-need-know) and Notice to Users of Consumer Reports: Obligations of Users under the FCRA (https://pubs.napbs.com/pub.cfm?id=8075FEC2-0ADD-C23B-85E4-E6459D9E6E50).
10. No Unauthorized Duplication.
Except as otherwise stated herein, none of the Content on the Sites may be modified, copied, reproduced, distributed, republished, downloaded, displayed, sold, compiled, posted or transmitted in any form or by any means, including but not limited to, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or other means, without the prior written consent of RentPath.
The terms “RentPath”, “Apartment Guide”, “Rent.com”, “Rentals.com”, Lovely and any other trademarks, trade names, logos and service marks (collectively, the “Marks”), displayed on the Sites are the property of RentPath or other third parties. You are not permitted to copy or otherwise use these Marks without the prior written consent of RentPath or such other owner.
12. Access and Interference.
The Sites may contain robot exclusion headers. Much of the information on the Sites is proprietary or is licensed to us by our users or third parties. You agree that you will not use any robot, spider, scraper or other automated means to access the Sites for any purpose without our prior written consent. Additionally, you agree that you will not: (i) take any action that imposes, or may impose in our sole discretion an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our infrastructure; (ii) copy, use, reproduce, modify, create derivative works from, distribute or display any content on the Sites without our prior written consent or the consent of the appropriate third party, as applicable; (iii) interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Sites or any activities conducted on the Sites; or (iv) bypass our robot exclusion headers or other measures we may use to prevent or restrict access to the Sites.
13. No Unlawful or Prohibited Use.
As a condition of your use of the Sites, you agree to comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws, statutes, ordinances and regulations regarding your use of our service and any related activities, including, without limitation, the Fair Housing Act, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, and any applicable rent-control or rent-stabilization laws. You warrant that you will not use the Sites in any way prohibited by law and/or otherwise prohibited by these terms, conditions and notices. In addition, you will not:
- use the Sites if you are not able to form legally binding contracts, are under the age of 18, or are temporarily or indefinitely suspended from the Sites;
- distribute or post spam, chain letters, or pyramid schemes;
- distribute viruses or any other technologies that may harm the Sites or the interests or property of users of the Sites;
- copy, modify, republish or distribute content from the Sites (except as provided herein) or the Marks;
- impersonate another person or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with another person or entity, conduct fraud, hide or attempt to hide your identity;
- provide inaccurate contact information or other misleading information, User Content or User Commentary;
- harvest or otherwise collect information about users, including email addresses, without their consent;
- transmit to the Sites or any user any information or materials of any kind which (i) violate, plagiarize or infringe on the intellectual property or contractual rights of any third party; or (ii) are libelous, defamatory, obscene, pornographic, abusive, harassing, threatening, tortious, invasive of another’s privacy, hateful, or otherwise objectionable; or (iii) contain any viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time bombs, cancelbots or other computer programming routines that are intended to damage, detrimentally interfere with, surreptitiously intercept or expropriate any system, data or personal information.
RentPath does not conduct any screening, background investigations or credit checks on any individual’s character, creditworthiness or rental history. In the event you use or access any Third Party Service(s) offered through the Sites which enables you to access a potential renter’s consumer credit data, criminal history, or eviction history, you hereby certify the following in connection with same: (a) that you have a legitimate business need for such data to assess the suitability of a potential renter of a property listed on the Sites; (b) your request and use of such data shall be solely for your internal business purposes in connection with such potential renter and potential transaction; and (c) that you will not provide any such data to any third party, and will comply at all times with all applicable law in the handling, protection and disposition of same.
14. Reporting Intellectual Property Infringement.
RentPath and the Sites comply with the provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”) applicable to Internet service providers (17 U.S.C. § 512). If you believe that your work has been copied and has been posted to the Sites in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please provide our copyright agent the following written information:
- An electronic or physical signature of the person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright interest;
- A description of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed upon;
- A description of where the material that you claim is infringing is located on the Sites;
- Your address, telephone number, and e-mail address;
- A statement by you that you have a good-faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
- A statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that the above information in your notice is accurate and that you are the copyright owner or authorized to act on the copyright owner’s behalf.
Before sending a notice to us, you should confirm that you are the copyright owner or have rights to the copyright which the DMCA requires. Contact information for our copyright agent for notice of claims of copyright infringement is provided below.
Via email to: email@example.com or via mail to:
Attn: General Counsel
950 E. Paces Ferry Road NE, Suite 2600
Atlanta, Georgia 30326
15. No Brokerage Relationship.
The Sites offer a neutral online advertising venue for potential renters, landlords, and property managers to obtain and exchange preliminary real estate information with each other and, based upon such preliminary information, the parties may elect thereafter to independently negotiate and consummate a transaction amongst themselves (each, a “Transaction”). RentPath is not a real estate broker, mortgage broker, or lender, and the Sites do not (and are not intended at any time to) provide any financial or real estate advice to you. Without limiting the foregoing, RentPath (a) does not counsel parties to, or participate in any Transaction, (b) is not a party to any Transaction, (c) does not guarantee any property or Transaction, (d) does not collect or process payments in connection with a Transaction, (e) does not negotiate or execute any lease, sublease, or sales/rental documentation or contracts, and/or (f) does not show properties to prospective tenants. You acknowledge that if you elect to use the Sites, RentPath does not represent you in any capacity in any Transaction, and/or in the rental, purchase, sale or exchange of real property, including in any negotiations relating thereto. You are strongly encouraged to obtain assistance from a licensed real estate professional and attorney in connection with the negotiation and completion of any Transaction.
16. Links to Third-Party Websites; Use of Google Maps.
17. General Disclaimer.
ALTHOUGH RENTPATH HAS ATTEMPTED TO PROVIDE ACCURATE INFORMATION ON THE WEBSITE AND OUR MOBILE APPLICATIONS, RENTPATH ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE ACCURACY OF THE INFORMATION. ALL INFORMATION PROVIDED ON THE SITES IS PROVIDED “AS IS” WITH ALL FAULTS WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. RENTPATH HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THOSE OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT OR ARISING FROM A COURSE OF DEALING, USAGE OR TRADE PRACTICE, EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT SUCH DISCLAIMERS ARE HELD TO BE LEGALLY INVALID.
18. Limitation of Liability.
NEITHER RENTPATH, NOR ITS PARENT, AFFILIATES, OR SUBSIDIARIES, NOR ANY OF THEIR RESPECTIVE DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, VENDORS OR SUPPLIERS WILL BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, LOST PROFITS OR REVENUES, COSTS OF REPLACEMENT GOODS, LOSS OR DAMAGE TO DATA ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE SITES OR ANY ADVERTISEMENT ON THE SITES, OR DAMAGES FROM THE USE OF OR RELIANCE ON THE INFORMATION PRESENT ON THE SITES, EVEN IF RENTPATH HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
19. Modification of the Sites.
RentPath reserves the right in its sole discretion to improve, modify or remove any information or content appearing on the Sites. RentPath may discontinue or revise any or all aspects of the Sites in its sole discretion and without prior notice. Without limiting the foregoing, RentPath reserves the right to change the terms and conditions under which the Sites are offered at any time. RentPath will provide notice of and the effective date of such changes. Unless otherwise provided in our Agreement, all amended terms automatically take effect upon acceptance for new users, or 10 days after they are posted on the Sites for all other users. It is your responsibility to check terms and conditions of this Agreement at the time of each use.
Because the Sites are an advertising venue, in the event that you have a dispute with a property/advertiser, you release RentPath and its affiliates (and its respective officers, directors, agents, subsidiaries, joint ventures and employees) from claims, demands and damages (actual and consequential) of every kind and nature, known and unknown, suspected and unsuspected, disclosed and undisclosed, arising out of, or in any way connected with, such disputes. If you are a California resident, you waive California Civil Code §1542, which says: “A general release does not extend to claims which the creditor does not know or suspect to exist in his favor at the time of executing the release, which if known by him must have materially affected his settlement with the debtor.”
22. Waiver of Contractual Rights for Violators of These Terms of Service.
You understand and agree that any individual or entity, including, but not limited to, employees, officers, directors, third party agents, affiliates, or independent contractors of such individuals or entities, that violates any term of these Terms of Service, including, but not limited to, accessing the Sites without authorization, or in excess of the authorization granted by these Terms of Service, is precluded from enforcing, agrees not to enforce, and covenants not to sue to enforce, any provision in any contract governing the use of any individual or entity’s website, including, terms and conditions, Terms of Service, and terms of service, asserted by such individual, entity, or any affiliate thereof, as binding on RentPath, or any of its affiliates.
23. Nature of RentPath Services.
RentPath operates a platform for properties desiring to advertise residential rental properties with available units, and the advertisements on the Sites are based on information provided by the properties. Accordingly, RentPath is not responsible in any way for the content in any such advertisements, nor is RentPath responsible for any actual lease transaction between a potential renter and a property.
24. Services Not Provided.
Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, you acknowledge and agree as follows:
- we do not participate in any actual lease transactions, including, without limitation, negotiations, discussions, or proposals, and you expressly waive any requirement that purports to impose on RentPath an obligation to perform any services other than those expressly undertaken by us;
- While RentPath has broker licenses in certain states, we do not render legal, brokerage, or other professional advice or services; in the event you desire or need such services, RentPath strongly advises you to secure the same from an appropriate provider;
- RentPath is not undertaking any, and has no, duties to renters, including, without limitation, the obligation to inspect rental properties, to verify the veracity of information contained in an advertisement, or to interview or otherwise screen renters;
- RentPath is not responsible for the content of, nor does it endorse, the third-party websites to which you may link using the Sites;
- RentPath does not guarantee the accuracy of any information available on the Sites, and is not responsible for any errors, omissions, or misrepresentations, and all information obtained on the Sites must be verified independently;
- RentPath may make changes to its products and/or services and the Sites at any time and without notifying you or receiving your consent; and
- While RentPath complies with applicable state and federal laws, including federal civil rights laws, RentPath cannot guarantee that its users so comply. Accordingly, RentPath assumes no liability for renters’ and/or properties’ failure to comply with such laws.
You will indemnify and hold us (and our officers, directors, agents, affiliates, subsidiaries, joint ventures and employees), harmless from any cost, liability, charge, penalties, claim or demand, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, court costs, and other costs of collection, made by any third party due to or arising out of your breach of this Agreement, or your violation of any law or the rights of a third party, or incurred by us as a result of your default under this Agreement.
26. Resolution of Disputes.
If a dispute arises between you and RentPath, our goal is to provide you with a neutral and cost effective means of resolving the dispute quickly. Accordingly, you and RentPath agree that we will resolve any claim or controversy at law or equity that arises out of this Agreement or our services (a “Claim”) in accordance with the subsections below or as we and you otherwise agree in writing.
- In the event that either party to these Terms of Service has a dispute relating to or arising from these Terms of Service or the use of the Sites, it must immediately notify the other party in writing giving details of the dispute. If the parties cannot resolve the dispute within fourteen (14) days of receipt of the notice provided for above, the dispute will then be submitted to mediation by a mediator agreed to by the parties, or failing agreement, appointed by Judicial Arbitration and Mediation Services, Inc. (“JAMS”) at the request of either party. If the matter is not resolved by mediation within fourteen (14) days from there, the matter will be submitted for arbitration in accordance with the Federal Arbitration Act (9 U.S.C. § 1 et seq.), by a single arbitrator to be appointed by the parties or, failing agreement, appointed by JAMS at the request of either party. The arbitrator shall not have the power to maintain class action or class-wide procedures, or provide either party with class-wide relief. Any such mediation or arbitration shall take place in Atlanta, Georgia. Unless the parties agree otherwise, English shall be the sole language of all such proceedings. This arbitration provision shall survive termination of this Agreement.
- YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO OPT OUT OF THIS AGREEMENT TO ARBITRATE AS DESCRIBED BELOW. UNLESS YOU OPT OUT OF ARBITRATION, YOU AND WE ARE WAIVING (i) THE RIGHT TO HAVE OUR DISPUTE HEARD BEFORE A JUDGE OR JURY, OR OTHERWISE TO BE DECIDED BY A COURT OR GOVERNMENT TRIBUNAL, and (ii) ANY ABILITY TO ASSERT OR PARTICIPATE ON A CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE BASIS IN COURT OR IN ARBITRATION. ALL DISPUTES, EXCEPT AS STATED BELOW, MUST BE RESOLVED BY BINDING ARBITRATION WHEN EITHER YOU OR WE REQUEST IT. You have the right to opt out of this agreement to arbitrate by sending written notice to RentPath, LLC, Attn: General Counsel, 950 E. Paces Ferry Road NE, Suite 2600, Atlanta, Georgia 30326, within 30 days of first accepting these Terms of Service. Otherwise, this agreement to arbitrate will apply without limitation.
- After we receive notice that you have commenced arbitration, we will reimburse you for your payment of the filing fee up to $300. For claims less than $75,000 that you win in arbitration, we will reimburse you for any fees paid to the arbitration organization and/or arbitrator. If, however, the arbitrator finds that either the substance of your claim or the relief sought in the demand is frivolous or brought for an improper purpose (as measured by the standards set forth in Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 11(b)), then the payment of all such fees will be governed by the JAMS Comprehensive Arbitration Rules and Procedures (the “Rules”). In such case, you agree to reimburse us for all monies previously disbursed by us that are otherwise your obligation to pay under the Rules. Arbitration relating to claims of $75,000 or greater shall be governed by the Rules with regard to payment of fees. If you consider that you are unable to afford any fees that would be yours to pay, you may request that we pay or reimburse them, and we will consider your request in good faith. Notwithstanding the foregoing, either party may bring an individual action in small claims court, if the claim is in that court’s jurisdiction and proceeds on an individual, and not class-wide, basis. This arbitration agreement does not preclude you from bringing issues to the attention of federal, state, or local agencies. The arbitration shall be kept confidential by both parties, and either party may seek injunctive relieve before the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia or the state courts of Fulton County, Georgia for the limited purposes of: (i) securing compliance with this arbitration provision pursuant to the Federal Arbitration Act; and (ii) enforcing the confidentiality of the arbitral proceedings.
- BY AGREEING TO THIS ARBITRATION PROVISION, EACH PARTY UNDERSTANDS THAT BOTH YOU AND WE ARE WAIVING THE RIGHT TO SUE IN COURT AND HAVE A JURY TRIAL. BOTH PARTIES AGREE THAT EACH MAY BRING CLAIMS AGAINST THE OTHER ONLY IN THEIR INDIVIDUAL CAPACITY AND NOT AS A PLAINTIFF OR CLASS MEMBER IN ANY PURPORTED CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE PROCEEDING. FURTHER, UNLESS THE PARTIES AGREE OTHERWISE, THE ARBITRATOR MAY NOT CONSOLIDATE MORE THAN ONE PERSON’S CLAIMS, AND MAY NOT OTHERWISE PRESIDE OVER ANY FORM OF REPRESENTATIVE OR CLASS PROCEEDING. If these terms relating to class or representative procedures are legally unenforceable for any reason with respect to a claim, then this agreement to arbitrate will be inapplicable to that claim, and the claim will instead be handled through litigation in court, rather than by arbitration, on the terms below.
- The arbitrator will have the power to award to a party any damages or other relief provided for under applicable law, with the exception of punitive damages to which neither party will be entitled.
- The arbitrator shall issue a reasoned written decision sufficient to explain the essential findings and conclusions on which the award is based. The arbitrator’s decision will be final and binding on the parties. A party can file a written appeal to the arbitration administrator within 30 days of award issuance. The appeal must request a new arbitration in front of three neutral arbitrators designated by the same arbitration administrators. The panel will reconsider all factual and legal issues, following the same rules of procedure, and will make decisions based on majority vote. Any final arbitration award will be binding on the named parties and enforceable by any court having jurisdiction.
- Subject to the foregoing, all disputes arising out of or related to these Terms of Service or your use of the Sites shall be governed by, construed and enforced in accordance with the laws of Georgia, without giving effect to any principles of conflicts or choice of law. If the mandatory arbitration provisions above do not apply to any dispute relating to or arising from these Terms of Service or the use of the Sites for any reason, such dispute shall be submitted to and resolved solely in the state or federal courts located in Atlanta, Georgia without jury trial. Both parties hereby consent to the personal jurisdiction of these courts and waive any objection (including of inconvenient forum) to these courts hearing such disputes. No other court, whether state or federal, may hear any such complaint or dispute. BY ACCESSING AND/OR USING THE SERVICE, YOU IRREVOCABLY SUBMIT TO SUCH EXCLUSIVE JURISDICTION AND VENUE AND AGREEMENT TO WAIVE JURY TRIAL. This arbitration agreement shall be construed broadly to encompass any and all possible claims between you and RentPath that are even tangentially related to the contractual relationship created by these Terms of Service.
- If you are a California resident, in accordance with California Civil Code Section 1789.3, you may report complaints to the Complaint Assistance Unit of the Division of Consumer Services of the California Department of Consumer Affairs by contacting them in writing at 400 R Street, Sacramento, CA 95814, or by telephone at (800) 952-5210.
Except as explicitly stated otherwise, notices should be sent to us at the following address:
Attn: General Counsel
950 E. Paces Ferry Road NE, Suite 2600
Atlanta, Georgia 30326
We will send notices to the email address you provide to us, either (i) when you complete a property contact form or (ii) when you create an account on the Sites. Notice shall be deemed given 24 hours after email is sent, unless the sending party is notified that the email address is invalid.
28. Apple® Terms.
If you accessed or downloaded our mobile application through the Apple App Store, it is an “App Store Sourced Application” for purposes of these Terms of Service, and you will use the App Store Sourced Application only: (i) on an Apple-branded product; and (ii) as permitted by the “Usage Rules” set forth in the Apple App Store Terms of Service. We reserve all rights in and to the App Store Sourced Application not expressly granted to you under these Terms of Service.
You acknowledge and agree that (i) these Terms of Service are valid between you and us only, and not Apple Inc., and (ii) we, not Apple, are solely responsible for the App Store Sourced Application and content thereof. Your use of the App Store Sourced Application must comply with the App Store Terms of Service.
You acknowledge that Apple has no obligation whatsoever to furnish any maintenance and support services with respect to the App Store Sourced Application.
In the event of any failure of the App Store Sourced Application to conform to any applicable warranty, you may notify Apple, and Apple will, where applicable, refund the purchase price for the App Store Sourced Application to you and to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, Apple will have no other warranty obligation whatsoever with respect to the App Store Sourced Application. As between us and Apple, any other claims, losses, liabilities, damages, costs or expenses attributable to any failure to conform to any warranty will be our sole responsibility.
You and we acknowledge that, as between us and Apple, Apple is not responsible for addressing any claims you have or any claims of any third party relating to the App Store Sourced Application or your possession and use of the App Store Sourced Application, including, but not limited to: (i) product liability claims; (ii) any claim that the App Store Sourced Application fails to conform to any applicable legal or regulatory requirement; and (iii) claims arising under consumer protection or similar legislation.
You and we acknowledge that, in the event of any third party claim that the App Store Sourced Application or your possession and use of that App Store Sourced Application infringes that third party’s intellectual property rights, as between us and Apple, we, not Apple, will be solely responsible for the investigation, defense, settlement and discharge of any such intellectual property infringement claim to the extent required by this Agreement.
You and we acknowledge and agree that Apple, and Apple’s subsidiaries, are third party beneficiaries relating to your license of the App Store Sourced Application, and that, upon your acceptance of these Terms of Service, Apple will have the right (and will be deemed to have accepted the right) to enforce the rights under these Terms of Service as related to your license of the App Store Sourced Application against you as a third party beneficiary thereof.
Without limiting any other provisions of these Terms of Service, you must comply with all applicable third-party agreements when using the App Store Sourced Application.